Canton Township prides itself on providing an excellent system of parks which offer a variety of activities for residents, plus a place for families to gather for picnics and other outdoor activities. Park pavilions, gazebo, and the Amphitheater in Heritage Park are available for rental by community groups and individuals. To locate a park near you, please check out our Canton Township Facilities, Parks, and Open Spaces Map.
Find all parks in the Metro Detroit area using the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) Park Finder
Parks Spring/Summer Season Update
Canton Parks amenities open seasonally, including:
- Freedom Pickleball Courts
- Flodin Tennis Courts
- Griffin Tennis Courts.
- Park public restrooms
New Accessible Musical Playground Added to Heritage Park
Canton Parks recently installed an Americans with Disabilities (ADA) accessible musical playground on the north end of Heritage Park, which was constructed to be accessible to children with disabilities, especially for those utilizing walkers and wheelchairs.
Accessible musical components include:
- Swirl Chimes, which are sculptural bells that are made of anodized aluminum that offer a wide range of sounds from soprano to alto
- Pagoda Bells, which are comprised of stacked durable bells that emanate calming tunes
- Imbarimba, which is a unique melodious instrument that combines elements of two African instruments – the Marimba and the Kalimba. This unique design provides access to a wide range of upper and lower notes
- Yantzee, which is comprised of resonating aluminum bars that project low tunes
- Five Tuned Drums of varying heights make up the final musical station that was designed to be played by hand by one or more children. Each drum was designed to produce a different pitch, and the shortest drum is accessible to even toddler-sized musicians.
Canton Township requires that all residents and guests abide by the Ordinances and Rules set up by the Township. For the enjoyment and safety of everyone using Canton's parks, we thank you for paying attention to the following:
- Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times (and please leave nothing behind...)
- Skateboarding is not allowed in Canton parks
- All of our parks are open from 6 am - 10 pm
- Motorized, electrical boats must have Park Superintendent's approval
- No alcohol is allowed in Canton Parks
Pavilion Rental Information
Pavilions and the Amphitheater are available for rent at Heritage Park and Freedom Park. All guests must adhere to park and pavilion rules.
IMPORTANT 2019 Heritage Park Pavilion Rental Information: Please note that construction projects may be underway from mid-June to the end of August on parking lots, paths, and roads in and around Heritage Park.
- Online reservations for residents for all pavilions will begin at 9:00 am, Monday, February 4, 2019.
- Phone-in reservations for residents can be made starting at 9:00 am, March 1, 2019, by calling 734/394-5310.
- Non-residents can begin making reservations starting at 9:00 am March 26, 2019, either online or by calling 734/394-5310.
- Full payment for the Pavilion is required at the time of reservation. Staff will not be able to hold a Pavilion without payment.
- Please keep in mind that weekend and prime dates fill up quickly, additionally, there are some dates that have been reserved for community-wide special events.
- All reservations are final; no refunds, cancellations or changes to pavilion bookings can be made.
- Canton Township Ordinances: A complete list of park rules is listed in Chapter 50 Leisure Services.
Gazebo Rental Information
- The Heritage Park Gazebo can be reserved through Summit on the Park Katherine's Catering Office by calling 734/394-5486.
Commemorative Tree and Bench Program
Canton Leisure Services offers residents, businesses and guests the opportunity to create a memorial or sponsorship within our parks, trails and around facilities. Current opportunities include the purchase of trees and park benches. This is a great way to show your support for the communities natural spaces and for remembering loved ones.
Benefits of Getting Outdoors and Enjoying Canton's Parks
Whether you are walking your dog, shooting hoops, or cooling off in one of our splash playgrounds, Canton's parks offer numerous leisure amenities.
In addition to these expected opportunities, Canton's parks can also provide measurable health benefits, from providing direct contact with nature and a cleaner environment, to opportunities for physical activity and social interaction.
- Preliminary evidence suggests that using parks may lead to other healthy lifestyle choices, such as balanced eating.
- Outdoor exercise has been shown to renew energy and foster a sense of psychological restoration.
- Researchers have identified a positive correlation between play in parks and heightened concentration among children with attention deficit disorder.
- Parks increase property values - and improve the tax base - as home buyers are more often willing to pay a higher price for a residence near a park.
- Trees and shrubs reduce air pollution control expenses.
- Green spaces protect groundwater sources and their no-mow buffer zones can also cut the cost of area drinking water.