Important Fall/Winter 2021 Dog Park Update
- The Canton Dog Park water has been shut off and winterized for the season. Please remember to bring water and a bowl for ONLY your own dog when visiting the dog park. As always, no glass bowls or glass containers of any kind are permitted in the dog park. Every year, Canton Parks staff prepare for the cold weather by shutting off water service before the first hard freeze to prevent costly damage to pipes. For additional information, please call the Canton Parks Office at 734/394-5310.
- IMPORTANT KENNEL COUGH INFORMATION AS OF OCTOBER 6, 2021: It has come to our attention that a number dogs at the Canton Dog Park have been diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, a.k.a. ‘kennel cough.’ Veterinarians are reporting that dogs afflicted are quite contagious, even to dogs with the Bordetella vaccine. Out of an abundance of caution, Canton Parks staff is recommending that extreme care is taken when visiting the Canton Dog Park. Please check back for the latest update as we try to mitigate the spread of this highly contagious illness at our dog park. For more information, please contact the Canton Park office at 734/394-5310.
- Please be advised that the Canton Dog Park will be closing every Wednesday from 6:30-9:30 a.m. for weekly maintenance. For additional dog park information, contact the Canton Park Office at 734/394-5310.
CANTON DOG PARK COVID-19 Update
With the current COVID-19 climate, members are asked to act responsibly and to adhere to the following guidelines when visiting the dog park:
- Please use the park at your own risk
- Keep at least a 6-foot distance from others
- Keep groups of people small (please spread out as much as possible)
- Do sanitize hands before, during, and after using the park
- Please be extra cautious of coming into contact with surfaces (gates, etc…)
- No water is available on-site, so remember to bring your own
- Avoid petting other people’s dogs
- Please remain vigilant about cleaning up after your dog
Please stay home if you are sick or present with any COVID-19 symptoms
Previous IMPORtant Updates
Taking into consideration feedback brought to our attention in past months, several improvements have been planned for the park in 2020. As part of the site improvement plan, the Large Dog section has been divided into two sections with the addition of fencing and a new section access gate. This restructuring has enabled Park staff to rotate these sections in an effort to mitigate the damage caused by large dogs due to their size and physicality of play in these high-use areas, as well as to allow for turf protection and restoration. Please visit the Canton Dog Park Facebook page www.facebook.com/Cantonmidogpark or keep checking back here for all Dog Park updates.
In addition to the reconfiguration of the large dog area, other site improvements and new rules will be implemented in 2020, including:
- The addition of three new water fountains that will result in one dedicated water source located in each dog section.
- Additional waste stations will be installed to allow for proper disposal of fecal droppings.
- Fence and gate repairs are expected to be completed by the end of the year; weather permitting.
- The Dog Park will now be closed every Wednesday from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. to allow for weekly maintenance.
- To help eliminate the spread for illness and diseases, no shallow water pools will be allowed in the Dog Park.
- All members will be responsible for filling holes created by their pets. Buckets of sandy-top soil and scoops will be available in each section to facilitate addressing these lawn repairs.
Dog Park members are reminded to review the Park Rules and Regulations located below , to remain up-to-date on how to best use the park and make the most of your visits. For the safety of all, members are asked to please respect and abide by all rules, since this is a self-regulated community Dog Park.
About the Park
The Canton Dog Park located on Denton Road, just north of Cherry Hill, is currently available to Dog Park members year-round weather permitting.
The Park has six-acres of fenced-in, outdoor space for dogs to run and play off-leash, with specific rules to help insure a safe and positive experience for everyone. The park is divided into a large dog section for animals over 20 pounds, and small dog section for animals under 20 pounds. Owners are reminded to be vigilant when at the dog park, actively watching their dogs at all times.
Dog Park Reminders
The mission of the Canton Dog Park is to provide a safe, fenced-in environment where dog owners can let their dogs run and play off-leash. Dog Park members are required to abide by the rules posted at the entrance gate in order to maintain the safety and well-being of all dog park users. Please note the following reminders:
- Dog owners must clean up after their dog(s) and dispose of waste properly.
- Dog owners must be in control of their dog(s) at all time and are asked to monitor and correct their dog's aggressive behavior. If your dog is displaying aggressive behavior, please remove them from the area immediately.
- Dog Park members must use their own key fob to enter the park. Members should not swipe in other individuals nor open the gate to provide access to other members. Please remember that only registered Dog Park members are allowed inside the park.
Thank you to everyone for being the "eyes and ears" of the Dog Park and for reporting any issues or concerns to the Canton Park Office at 394-5310.
Dog Licenses and Rules
A Dog Park membership is required to use the Dog Park. Memberships can be purchased through the Township Clerk's Office. New Applicants to the Canton Dog Park must submit License Form and Dog Park Waiver to qualify for registration. All memberships must be renewed annually.
Canton Dog Park Events
Bark at the Park-
Dog owners and their pets are encouraged to attend “Bark in the Park.” Participants along with their four-legged friends can enjoy live entertainment, purchase merchandise, and receive free give-a-ways from local pet supply and service vendors. Both members of the Dog Park and non-members are encouraged to let their dogs experience this off-leash dog park during the event. This special event is designed to give pet owners the opportunity to learn about the Canton Dog Park, meet other pet owners, and give dogs the opportunity to become more socialized. *Note non-dog park members must show proof of up-to date vaccination for rabies and DHLPP, signed by an accredited veterinarian.
Location: Canton Dog Park
Date: May 15, 2022
Registration: No pre-registration is required
Ages: All Ages
Memberships, Dog Licenses, and Rules
Memberships can be purchased through the Township Clerk's Office. New Applicants to the Canton Dog Park must submit License Form and Dog Park Waiver to qualify for registration.
- Dog license form / dog park application available in the Clerk's Office. Please note, in order to license a dog, a valid and current certificate of vaccination for rabies and DHLPP (Distemper) must be provided, signed by an accredited veterinarian.
- Dog park rules and regulation (PDF) Opens in New Window
Dog Park & Dog License Renewals
All dog licenses and permits expired on December 31st of the year issued. In order to license a dog or a dog park membership, a valid and current certificate of vaccination for rabies and DHLPP (Distemper) must be provided, signed by an accredited veterinarian.
Application can be made in person during business hours or by downloading the forms and mailing documentation and fees to Canton Clerk Office, 1150 South Canton Center Road, Canton MI. 48188. Attention: Dog License.
Dog Park Membership Fees
- Please refer to the Clerk's Office for current Dog Park and Dog License Fees.
- Requires a current dog license for each animal.
- Vaccinations required: current Rabies, DHLPP.
- Bordetella vaccination not required but encouraged.
Canton Dog Park Electronic Gate Access Update
The electronic gate entry system at the Canton Dog Park is currently in operation. Just a reminder that all members will need to use their key fobs to enter and exit the park. Look for the big red arrows that designate where to swipe your key fob.
Key Fobs are currently available at the Clerk's Office with Dog Park memberships and renewals. A refundable key fob security deposit will be collected at time of registration and returned when membership is discontinued and the key fob is returned. Only one key fob per household will be issued.
For more information, please contact the parks office at 734/394-5310.
Become a Sponsor
Donations can be submitted to:
Canton Parks Division
1150 Canton Center Road S.
Canton, MI 48188
Call the Canton Parks Division at 734/394-5310.